CivicActions is on a mission to deliver better public services through modern technology and design. We work in cross-functional, agile teams and communicate openly and honestly. We encourage a balanced, autonomous lifestyle. We are looking for others like us with a passion for using technology to improve our world.
CivicActions supports government agencies to meet Section 508 accessibility requirements. Our teams strive to exceed bare compliance, and build delight into the customer experience of all users. Inclusion is a key aspect of any effective digital government strategy.
As a Web Accessibility Engineer, you will be largely evaluating websites that are built with Drupal, ReactJS and Gatsby. Our teams have a strong focus on accessibility, but embedded technical expertise is required.
We are seeking candidates with real passion for accessibility, usability, and inclusive design. We are looking for someone with demonstrated experience designing accessible software and supporting engineering teams in understanding and fixing accessibility issues.
Who you are
- Comfortable with evaluating wireframes, graphic designs and video accessibility
- Familiar with web design systems and evaluating component-based sites
- Able to use axe DevTools, Accessibility Insights, and similar automated accessibility tools to effectively debug sites and enhance code quality
- Knowledgeable building accessible and inclusive interfaces.
- Detailed knowledge of WCAG 2.1, WAI-ARIA and ATAG 2.0
- Familiar with using and reading accessibility scanning tool reports
- Keeping up with evolving best practices and knowledge of different disabled populations
- Experience testing with common screen readers (JAWS, NVDA, OS X/iOS VoiceOver, TalkBack), keyboard only, and other assistive technology.
- Understand the distinction between medical and social model of disability
- Thrive on a collaborative team and able to provide constructive code reviews
- Lead teams in shifting-left accessibility in the design/development process
- Empathy for customers and partners, and for work-arounds users face while using our products
- Comfortable engaging with communities with disabilities
- Adept at working with diverse teams and across functional areas
- 3+ years of experience with digital accessibility
- 1+ years of experience in assistive technologies and screen readers
- Associate degree or 2 years additional experience
- Strong understanding of the Document Object Model (DOM)
- Experience working with a Content Management System (CMS) like Drupal or WordPress
- Ability to navigate and understand how to use Git
Nice to have
- Certified with Trusted Tester, IAAP Web Accessibility Specialist (WAS) and/or Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
- Complementary skills such as front-end development, QA, UX, design, user research, documentation.
- 100% company-paid medical/dental/vision/life/disability with 100% dependent coverage
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible vacation policy
- Yearly professional development stipend
- Yearly technology stipend