Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) is looking to fill the role of Web Developer. With highly seen deliverables, this position makes a visible impact on the region, building, designing, and administering web properties that connect SCAG with the public, jurisdictions, stakeholders, and other staff. Reporting to the Manager of Application Development & Support, the Web Developer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining high-quality software to meet business and customer needs. This position will support and maintain SCAG’s public websites, as well as other application frontends for internal systems. Application administration and maintenance for assigned applications is also a key function of this role. The Web Developer will work closely with end-users, product owners, project managers, and other development teams, and independently, as the technical lead on assigned projects. SCAG’s public website, built on Drupal, will be a primary responsibility. Other applications, including SCAG’s custom-built GIS applications (using frameworks like React), MS Dynamics CRM system, Financial Management System, and Intergovernmental Review application, represent other systems for which this role will provide front-end development.
The Application Development and Support team is responsible for many of SCAG's core technology systems and involved in multiple SCAG initiatives. The team develops, manages, tests, supports, maintains, and consults on applications including region shaping metropolitan planning systems, operationally focused finance and support systems, and public facing information sharing systems. Some of the current applications and technologies used include Microsoft Great Plains (GP), WorkPlace, OnBase, Microsoft CRM, custom Inter-Government Review (IGR), custom Finance Management Systems (FMS), custom Active Transportation Database (ATDB), Microsoft Dynamics 365, ESRI ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, ServiceNow, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and Crystal Reports.
As a mission-driven organization, SCAG is committed to attracting and retaining talent who embody SCAG’s values. SCAG's workforce is passionate and committed to innovation that improves the quality of life for all Southern Californians. When you join SCAG, you can expect a culture where collaboration and teamwork is fostered.
SCAG operates as a hybrid organization because we recognize that work can be successfully performed in various locations. Designing a work environment and culture where SCAG’s mission, effectiveness, and collaboration can be more flexibly served demonstrates our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) by supporting work-life balance for our employees, retaining our existing dedicated staff, and increasing access to new talent pools.
As part of our Work@SCAG hybrid approach, employees’ eligibility in the three work models (office, hybrid, remote) will depend on the department, position, responsibilities, and duties. All work models require employees to work from a location based within the SCAG region.
In this role you can expect to
- Design, develop, and configure data, modules, blocks, menus, themes, and integrations on the Drupal CMS platform.
- Administer and maintain SCAG’s Drupal installation.
- Ensure application patches are regularly tested and installed.
- Configure changes in alignment with current business and technology needs.
- Develop frontend code for various internally and externally facing SCAG web applications.
- Provide User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) designs.
- Collaborate with stakeholders (e.g. business stakeholders, product owners, project managers, and end users) to understand functional and non-functional requirements.
- Investigate and propose solutions to development and design problems.
- Participate in work estimation and forecasting.
- Adhere to architecture, design, implementation, and security standards and best practices.
- Participate in code reviews or use collaborative programming techniques to promote high quality business outcomes.
- Conduct analysis to determine integration needs, and design and plan integrations.
- Implement unit and integration tests and conduct functional and performance testing where appropriate.
- Document code, administration procedures, user procedures, work tasks, project status
- Perform regular user access and security audits.
- Troubleshoot issues and provide tier 3 level support to web content administrators.
- Other duties as assigned.
You will be a good fit if you have these must-haves
- Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Programming, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Technology, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, UX Design, or a related field.
- Experience: Seven years of professional IT experience with three of those years specifically in full-stack development and/or UI/UX design. full-stack development and UI/UX design.
You will hit the ground running in this role if you also have:
- Experience with Drupal CMS
- Experience working in an Agile based development team
- IT service management practices and tracking based on ITIL in Azure DevOps and ServiceNow
- Knowledge of: Applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various technology products and services; web development using popular frameworks and supporting technologies such as React, Angular, jQuery, Express, Vue, Node.js; designing web user interfaces with a strong understanding of user experience; maintaining and administering a web CMS system; PHP development; supporting technologies (e.g. MS SQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Windows Server, Linux, IIS, Apache, NGINX); software architecture; managing code in a GIT based repository; common software design patterns; working within an established SDLC process.
- Ability to: Develop and maintain web applications; analyze information and elicit requirements from end users; learn new technologies independently; plan and organize multiple assignments to meet deadlines; communicate clearly both orally and in writing; work cooperatively and productively as a team member in an Agile environment; use analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.